As part of my effort to support you at home, i'm going to be posting some nutritious, healthy recipes using simple foods we have in our store-cupboard and freezer. First up is my black bean & spinach lasagne. I made this at the weekend and then froze it to have as a mid-week meal. Lovely to have a healthy meal on tap, ready to go after the kids had been driving me crazy all day.
A few of you asked for the recipe on my Instagram account (@suziehealthyliving), so here it is! It's a great one to make a few days ahead and then freeze.
Black Bean & Spinach Lasagne
Serves: Two hungry Adults
1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
300g black beans (3/4 tin)
1/2 red pepper, chopped into small pieces
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped into small pieces
Small red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp chilli olive oil
5 rolls frozen spinach
1-2 tsp smoked paprika
Salt & pepper to season
4-5 Lasagne sheets
Grated cheese for the top.
Basic white sauce made with butter, plain flour and semi-skimmed milk
(approx 30g butter, 30g plain flour and enough milk to make a thick sauce).
1. Put a small pan of water on the hob and bring to the boil. Cook the frozen spinach in the boiling water for a few minutes, until it starts to disperse.
2. Remove and drain the spinach. Squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible using a spoon.
3. Saute the chopped onion in the chilli oil, adding in the peppers after a few minutes. Cook the onion and peppers on a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, black beans, smoked paprika, herbs and seasoning and continue to cook on a low heat until the sauce thickens.
5. Whilst it is simmering, you can make your white sauce. Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour to make a roux and then slowly add the milk, stirring continuously.
6. Then you can start to layer your lasagne: Spread the tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish, then add in a few piece of spinach. Top with the lasagne and white sauce. Then repeat.
7. Sprinkle with cheese on the top. You can either cook for about 30 minutes in the oven or freeze for another day.